The AWJP is an initiative dedicated to empowering women journalists by providing them with the skills and resources they need to create content that raises awareness of under-reported issues affecting women and makes a business case for sustained gender reporting. The initiative is supported by the International Centre for Journalists (ICFJ).
We are looking for a dynamic Project Officer to lead our Reporting Fellowship for Women Journalists in Francophone Africa project. In this role, you will coordinate with the project management team, ensuring high project performance and compliance with AWJP and funding partners’ policies.
Under the guidance of the Program Manager, your key responsibilities will include managing project activities and teams. The selected candidate must proactively oversee the program, manage finances, and mitigate risks and delays for the project.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Ensures strategic leadership, programme planning and execution of the Reporting Fellowship for Women Journalists in Francophone Africa project, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Ensure effective project harmonisation and integration of the project into the overall AWJP strategy.
- Lead the strategic planning and project management of the AWJP | The Reporting Fellowship for Women Journalists in Francophone Africa in compliance with grant agreement terms.
- Proactively oversee the project, developing and monitoring detailed implementation plans and with the support of the Programme Manager, diagnose underperformance and bottlenecks ensuring accountability in corrective action plans.
- Monitor and evaluate by completing regular reviews of the project’s risk management matrix to meet or exceed commitments and mitigate risks for the project
- Managing project finances, in line with the Grant Budget and with the support of the AWJP program managers.
- Reporting by making timely and quality submissions of core documents and reports for The Reporting Fellowship for Women Journalists in Francophone Africa.
- Liaise with AWJP program managers to supervise and ensure accountability for Fellows’ contracting processes under the project, including capacity assessments, agreements and related amendments.
- Undertake additional activities as assigned by the Programme Manager and under mutual agreement with the Project Officer.
- Innovation: Ability to make new and practical ideas work.
- Leadership: Ability to drive success by leveraging others through effective leadership
- People Management: Improve performance and satisfaction through effective management.
- Communication: Ability to listen, think and communicate effectively.
- Delivery: Ability to get things done and ask for assistance when needed, to comply with due dates with the best quality.
- Technical/Functional Competencies: Fluent use of tools for training and managing communities online such as Google Workspace, Facebook Groups, Slack and Zoom.
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organise, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals promptly.
- Risk Management: Ability to identify and prioritise risks and organising action around mitigating them.
- Knowledge Management: Ability to efficiently document and share information and knowledge.
- Have at least two years of relevant professional experience in project management, managing people, budgets and timelines.
- Experience or studies that have prepared the applicant to handle gender issues responsibly.
- Knowledge and experience working with media organisations or journalism-related projects is an asset.
- Fluency in English, both written and oral
- Fluency in French, both written and oral
How to Apply:
Use this form to apply on or before March 1, 2024
AWJP is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we encourage candidates of all ages, ethnic backgrounds, religions, disability status, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity to apply.