AWJP | Junior Designer
The AWJP is an initiative dedicated to empowering women journalists by providing them with the skills and resources they need to create content that raises awareness of under-reported issues affecting women and makes a business case for sustained gender reporting supported by the International Centre for Journalists (ICFJ).
We are hiring an experienced Junior Designer to help us keep growing. You will be working with a team of journalists, mentors, and data analysts in six African countries (Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, and South Africa) who are producing smart, data-based storytelling. The responsibilities of a junior graphic designer will include creating designs according to specifications, reporting to the senior graphic designer, and improving design tasks. If you're dedicated and ambitious, AWJP is an excellent place to grow your career.
This part-time position (25 hours a week) is based in Kenya and is fully remote.
Responsibilities for Junior Designer
- Identify, gather, compile and customise resources and information for the stories, occasional online posts, and any other materials that may be required.
- Organise, compile and process information from the data collector as well as from the team, and keep consistent design of the information throughout all the story resources including: static and interactive data visualisations.
- Share drafts of the preliminary designs with the team within the stipulated time.
- Prepare and share storyboards in Google slides for presentations and approval by the programme manager prior to creating the videos.
- Report to the programme manager on the progress of your completed projects on Slack and Trello.
- Get clear design briefs from the team prior to designing for any project.
- Perform other related duties in accordance with requests from team members when extra effort is needed.
- Attending staff meetings when called upon and maintaining clear, consistent communication with all team members.
- Maintain and organize up-to-date files for easy access and retrieval in Trello and Google drive. Ensure safekeeping of confidential materials of the AWJP.
- Gather information and materials needed from designated individuals to accomplish tasks.
- Become familiar with brand guidelines, images, components and overall brand identity, as well as the guidelines of our partner companies.
- Work well as part of a collaborative team, and directly with Senior Graphic Designer, Project Manager, and outside agencies (when necessary).
- Learn new software, if needed, to accomplish projects.
- Proofreads to ensure accurate and high-quality work.
- Pitch creative ideas
Our ideal candidate will be
- Self-driven- A person who takes initiative. Pushes boundaries.
- A good Communicator-A person who develops and maintains good communication with all team members.
- Curious - A person who keeps learning. Questions everything.
- Ability to put your ego aside - A person who positively receives criticism. Doesn’t get attached to his/ her designs.
- Open-minded - A person who leaves biases at the door. Embrace different perspectives.
- Empathy & Creativity - A person who understands the audience he/ she is designing for.
- Passionate individual - A person who enjoys his/ her tasks and works effortlessly.
Qualifications for Junior Designer Position
- Graphic design diploma qualification or similar.
- Up to 3 years of working experience as a graphic designer.
- Experience with design software and graphics editing software, such as Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premier) InVision or CorelDRAW.
- Experience with data visualisation tools eg Flourish, Data Wrapper an added advantage.
- Knowledge of design techniques, such as prototyping.
- Understanding of visual elements (layout, type and fonts)
- Ability to work well within a team.
- Able to work with (or pivot to) productivity tools such as Trello, Slack and Google Workspace tools (Drive, Sheets and Docs)
- Time management skills.
- A talent for creativity and problem-solving.
How to Apply
Use this form to apply on or before 20/2/23 at 4pm EAT
AWJP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we encourage candidates of all ages, ethnic backgrounds, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity to apply.