AWJP | Communication Assistant
The AWJP is an initiative dedicated to empowering women journalists by providing them with the skills and resources they need to create content that raises awareness of under-reported issues affecting women and makes a business case for sustained gender reporting supported by the International Centre for Journalists (ICFJ).
We are hiring an experienced Communications Assistant to help us keep growing. You will work with a team of journalists, mentors, data analysts, designers and AWJP’s editorial and project teams in six African countries (Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda and South Africa) to produce smart, data-based storytelling. The AWJP is an excellent place to grow your career if you're dedicated and ambitious. The 12-month part-time position will be based in Kenya and is fully remote.
Responsibilities for Communications Assistant
- Develop, write and edit marketing and communications materials, including press releases, blog posts and social media content, with the support of the Editorial team.
- Promote communications and marketing materials through appropriate social channels
- Track analytics and create reports detailing successes and failures of communications campaigns
- Ensure that all communications and marketing material align with brand standards
- Maintain digital media archives, including photos and videos
- Work with communications team members to conceptualise and implement communications strategies and campaigns
- Interact with our community through our communication channels.
- Perform media outreach to achieve brand placement in publications
- Develop escalation protocols for managing communication crises if they arise.
- Performing research on current benchmark trends and audience preferences
- Designing and implementing social media strategy to align with the organization’s goals
- Setting specific objectives and reporting on project KPIs
- Monitor SEO and web traffic metrics
- Stay up-to-date with current technologies and trends in social media, design tools and applications.
Qualifications for Communications Assistant
- 2-5 years prior experience in a communications or marketing role
- Understand the best practices of leading social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, etc
- Must possess exceptional writing skills and be able to compose engaging and accurate content for offline and online media.
- Strong communicator who works well independently and with a team
- Superior time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Understanding of communications, public relations and marketing best practices
- Ability to think strategically and identify ways to improve communication efforts
- Must be resourceful and take the initiative even when given minimal direction
- Solid knowledge of SEO, keyword research and Google Analytics
- Fluency in French will be an advantage
How to Apply
Use this form to apply on or before 23rd September 2022.
AWJP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we encourage candidates of all ages, ethnic backgrounds, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity to apply.