The AWJP is an initiative dedicated to empowering women journalists by providing them with the skills and resources they need to create content that raises awareness of under-reported issues affecting women and makes a business case for sustained gender reporting. The initiative is supported by the International Centre for Journalists (ICFJ).
We are hiring a Radio Editor to work with community Radio Journalists as part of our continuing fellowship programme. You will be working with a team of journalists, mentors and data analysts in six African countries (Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda and South Africa) who are producing smart, data-based storytelling.
This position is based in Kenya and is fully remote.
- Proofread, edit and revise scripts and audio stories produced by AWJP fellows
- Verify facts, statistics, dates; check content for accuracy and errors
- Participate in developing story ideas with AWJP team and fellows
- Adhere to publication deadlines
- Confer with fellows on change of content, style, organisation, publication
- Ensure AWJP standards are met before publication
- Suggest stories and generate headlines
- Liaise with AWJP team of editors, designers, researchers, data analysts and social media strategists
- Work closely with fellows and AWJP team to develop engaging and impactful radio content; provide feedback and guidance
- Edit and review scripts
- Advise AWJP fellows on reporting and guide them on story production
- Review headlines, stories and scripts and ensure they are factual and free from libel and fit the style and standards
- Work with fellows and AWJP team to develop radio story ideas
Qualifications for Radio Editor:
- Degree in journalism, mass communications, communications or related field, or equivalent.
- Strong script writing and editing skills
- Excellent English language communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Knowledge of industry trends, innovations and best practices in radio journalism
- Familiarity with broadcasting and copyright laws and protocols
- Adept in utilising broadcast devices, tools and equipment
- Proficiency in computer application software and audio editing programmes such as Adobe Audition, Cool Edit Pro
- Excellent organisation and time management skills and ability to prioritise and multitask
- Eye for detail and critical thinking skills
- Able to prioritise tasks and multitask
- Excellent knowledge of media production
- Gender-related expertise
- Familiar with laws on libel, copyright, invasion of privacy
- Familiarity with collaborative tools like Slack, GSuite, Trello a plus
How to Apply
Use this form to apply on or before 10th October 2023.
AWJP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we encourage candidates of all ages, ethnic backgrounds, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity to apply.